[ENH] Help for Adding Name Space to Squeak

Giovanni Giorgi giovanni.giorgi at mlab.disco.unimi.it
Thu Jul 22 08:48:46 UTC 1999

Ciao!
I'd like to add a simple name space facility to Squeak, for improving
the Smalltalk Interface extension and for improving developement of
different projects.
First of all, I'd like to know if someone (of the Squeak Team or alone)
is working on it.
Will Squeak 2.5 provide name spaces?
I have searched for some similar projects on Squeak, but I cannot find
nothing on the Web.
In this mailing list, someone posted a problem realted to a simple name
space project, days ago.
I need of some ideas, and some tips on how to organize the entire
problem.
Then, I will try to implement the resulting work form this discussion.
If someone is already doing this stuff, I will provide my help!

The Name Space Problem
I'd like to implement a fair light  name space engine, without the need
of recompiling the VM.
I think to add some new special statements to the language, for
switching beetween name space.
A Name-Space-enabled-Browser should be builded.

I think a good starting point could be a simple modification of the
SystemDictionary.
Then we can add some classes with  methods for switching between name
spaces...

Someone has some ideas?

Thank you very very much!

// Giovanni Giorgi          e-mail:  giovanni.giorgi at mlab.disco.unimi.it

// Master Thesis  at http://mars.sal.disco.unimi.it/~giorgi
// Student & (ex)Tutor at Depart. of Computer Science of Milan, Italy.