Squeak networking (was "UDP for Win32 Squeak")

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 14 12:27:42 UTC 1999

Some months ago, we were having problems with swiki and traced
the problems to the networking code.  I asked the squeak list
whether we were missing something, or whether the networking
code was just broken.  I got back a bunch of answers, all of
the form "networking is broken and it can't be fixed".  We then
moved our work to VisualWorks.

I can't really vouche for the Correspondence framework since I
haven't used it.  I read the code and it seemed pretty reasonable
to me.  But an argument of the form "it is not like the old system"
is pretty bizzare.  The old system is broken and can't be fixed!
It is OK for small things, but it is not suitable for heavy-duty
servers.  Squeak needs a foundation that can scale.

-Ralph