What are 'system classes' was: Re: newbie question

Alan Lovejoy sourcery at pacbell.net
Tue Jul 13 02:11:15 UTC 1999

John-Reed Maffeo wrote:

>  Alan Lovejoy wrote:
>  >
>  ---snip
>  > The best place to add your own stuff when you're doing "real
>work" is in your
>  > own classes, not in system classes (with some exceptions I'll mention). But
>  > for just playing around, the issue is not as critical.
>
>  Are the 'system classes' all of the classes that ship with a new release
>  from
>  Squeak Central?
>  ---snip
>  > --Alan

Well, there is no formal or legal definition.  I can see two
different approaches,
each with a different motivation:

1.  Change management.  The idea here is to avoid changing code that may be
changed out from under you in the next release.  If this is the main
concern, then
all code from Squeak Central is "system."

2. Operational integrity.  The idea here is to avoid breaking the image in some
fundamental way. If this is the main concern, then all
classes/methods that must
work right for the image to be useable as a development environment would be
"system."

--Alan

Attachment converted: Anon:sourcery.vcf 12 (TEXT/R*ch) (0000B0EF)