[BUG] display depth 2 problem

Doug Way dway at mat.net
Wed Jul 21 17:53:47 UTC 1999

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Peter Novak wrote:

> Halo,
> I don't know if this is a real bug, but after trying to change
> display depth in fresh Squeak2.4b.image to depth 2bit, Squeak said that
> this mode is not supported, but modes in 1bit and other display depths
> are okay? Is this a bug or it's normal? Why is it not supported (if it
> okay) ???

I ran into this lousy, 2-bit problem (sorry) a while ago, so I tried
testing it on the Mac, Windows, and Unix (Irix).

It seems that it works fine for OS's that support 2-bit screen depths such
as the Mac, but it crashes on both Windows and Unix.  Specifically, it
comes up with a dialog saying "Aborting Squeak!!!! Color depth 2 not
supported", and then it aborts Squeak.

I'd say it's definitely a bug that it has to abort Squeak if a 2-bit
screen depth isn't supported on a given platform... it should at least do
a test so that it doesn't die, and bring up a notifier within Squeak
instead.

- Doug Way
  EAI/Transom Technologies, Ann Arbor, MI
  http://www.transom.com