Various newbie's questions

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Jul 12 04:08:36 UTC 1999

Philippe DE ROCHAMBEAU <pr1 at businessobjects.com> wrote:
> As a Squeak newbie, I would like to know if
>
> - there is a way to configure a Morphic World (and, ideally, the entire
> Squeak "Desktop") so as to make it as simple as possible for end users. For
> instance, I would like Morphs not to respond to Alt/Command clicks, not to
> display halos, and only move when you double-click on them.

Heheh, Morphic *is* supposed to be super-easy for end users.  Obviously it isn't meeting it's goal yet :)  You have some good ideas towards improving the situation.

Turning off the halo by default sounds like a winner.  You're not the first to have observed newbies getting freaked out by them.

I don't understand your concern about shift and alt clicking, though.  Isn't it kind of hard to do a shift- or alt- click by accident?  And considering that, what does it matter to novices?

Regarding moving morphs around, there is such a system being played with called "Squeak Pages" (or is it "Squeaky Pages"?).  It's on the swiki, somewhere.  Basically you can store a BookMorph on an ftp server, or on a swiki if you have the right changesets loaded.  You can also upload individual pages out of a BookMorph.

Besides pre-built stuff, though, Squeak provides the means to generate a file from a morph (via SmartRefStream), and thus a decent programmer can string together most any kind of morph-swapping system you like.  Especially considering that Squeak also has some networking code builtin, in particular both HTTP client and server code.  It depends on your goals.

Anyway, dive on in and have fun :)

Lex