Status of braces.

Steve Wart swart at home.com
Sun Jul 18 20:25:44 UTC 1999

It is a special syntax for indexed queries, used for detect:[ifNone:] and
select: as you have suggested.

The ability to quickly access elements in an associative array is one of the
things that makes GemStone special, IMO. It also has some nice "fast" Set
operations (IdentitySet operations now, I guess) which lend themselves to
some interesting traversal patterns.

This is worthy of mention because of the large data volumes required to
implement sophisticated knowledge-based applications, such as the NL parser
that Dan proposed. I would love for Squeak to have these capabilities (along
with persistence, transactions and concurrency control).

There is a paper called "Making Smalltalk a Database System" (or something
like that) written by some of the original GemStone kernel engineers. I can
find the correct reference if anyone is interested and someone else doesn't
have it handy.

When you start to think of a database as a semantic network instead of a
bunch of data in tables (especially when you have Smalltalk as an engine),
it's really hard to go back.

Steve