Working Together

Joshua Gargus gargus at cs.ualberta.ca
Wed Jul 14 17:20:16 UTC 1999

Hi Chris,

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Norton, Chris wrote:
> > Hi Dwight & co .
> >
> > Actually, I guess I was hinting at Squeak's lack of a "window menu"
> > feature (I know that this is a sensitive subject, so I won't belabor it
> > :-).  You could say that I have fully bought into the window menu concept
> > that is prevalent in M$ Windows & in Macintoshes (don't know about
> > UNIX/Linux).  One great thing about a resident window menu is that its
> > contents are right in your face.  You don't have to right (or middle)
> > mouse click and then follow a bunch of popup menus to find stuff.

I'm not sure what you mean by a 'Window Menu'.  Are you talking about
the 'Start' button in Windows?

One thing I fully bought into about Windows (the only thing?) was the
use of Alt-Tab to switch between windows.  I've implemented something
like this for Squeak.  Check out http://www.ualberta.ca/~jgargus/squeak.html
I'm not sure if my 'WindowSelection' changeset is what you're looking for.
It's not completely feature-rich, but it does the trick for me.  If anyone has
a feature that they'd like to have added, email me and I'll put it in.

BTW, it works well with 'BrowserKeyboardEnhancements' (also on my web
page).

> > I was suggesting that the next best thing to providing a window menu
> > feature to Squeak, might be to have a button or button panel (think
> > toolbar w/ tooltips!) that would have commonly used features on it (like
> > "update from server").  If it is right there in my face, I'm sure I'll use
> > it.  In fact, the first thing I always do with a new image is to open up
> > the commonly used popup menus and make them stay open.

I think this exists already.  If you use global flaps in Morphic (toggle
Preferences->useGlobalFlaps), then the flap on the left has an update
button.

Bye,
Josh