[BUG?] Swiki bug, and some questions

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Jul 2 18:47:50 UTC 1999

>I have a Swiki setup at work, and created a page with about a dozen tables
>on it.  The page was about 14K worth of data.  The Swiki took this this
>page fine, and showed it fine, but any time that I tried to edit it later,
>it brought up about half of the source, and then informed me that the
>connection to the server was broken.
>
>I eventually fixed the page (by editing the file with an outside editor),
>but I'm wondering what the limit of for a Swiki page is that you can edit.

There is no limit internally, but several browsers do limit the amount of
text that can be in a text area -- a limitation we learned when having
students turn in code via a Swiki.  UNIX and Mac browsers tend to be more
lenient than Win95 and NT browsers, it seems.

But the problem you had is one that I've seen before, and it was the same
situation -- a complex table which had, we found, some flaws in the HTML.
For some reason, the browser got really confused when loading it in.  Maybe
the browsers HTML parser got confused looking for the </textarea> tag.

>The Swiki is running in Squeak 2.4c (plain), on NT.  I was attempting to
>edit it with IE5.
>
>A question about Swikis - If I try to paste in text that I don't want
>formatted, it appears that I need to use the HTML <pre></pre> tags.  Doing
>this, I get a blank line between each line of displayed text.  I suspect
>that this could be called a bug as well.  Maybe when the Swiki takes in
>text, it needs to convert end of line characters into a generic format.  Of
>course, it can't do this based on the platform that is running the Swiki,
>since the person creating the page can be on any platform.

The blank line is coming from the HTMLformatter that puts a <br> at the end
of each line.  You can use the LessHTMLformatter which doesn't do that.
This is described on the Swiki Swiki at
http://pbl.cc.gatech.edu:8080/myswiki.1

Mark

(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu