[ALL] Lobbying - Smalltalk KILLER APP!

Doug Way dway at mat.net
Thu Jul 1 02:46:25 UTC 1999

> >Smalltalk4ever! <smalltalk4ever at my-deja.com> wrote (with possible
> >editing):

> >>WAHOO!  This is the perfect time for a "Smalltalk Web Server" to come on
> >>the scene.  I know some work has already been done along these lines,
> >>but I don't remember it being free, nor do I see it (currently) being
> >>packaged in a way that a non-smalltalker "web administrator" could
> >>simply install and use.  Most importantly, it should be cross-platform,
> >>i.e. it should work on VW and VA and Dolphin and whatever else people
> >>are hacking on nowadays...

Actually, the important thing is that it must be cross-platform in the
sense of running on different OS platforms.  I don't think it's necessary
for it to work across multiple Smalltalk implementations (VW, VA, Dolphin,
Squeak, etc.).

Squeak would be ideal, since it's ported to more OS platforms than any
other Smalltalk implementation, and it's free and open source.  Close
runner-up would probably be VisualWorks, but then it wouldn't be free if
you were running a web server for a business, and freeness is what you
need for it to really catch on.  (are there any issues with Squeak threads
being less robust than VW threads?)

Of course, such a project would need a real leader/instigator.  I'm not
sure if the current PWS stuff is going to evolve enough at its current
rate to be successful as a web server than any ol' admin would want to
use.  This is where someone needs to step up and go for it... stardom in
the open source community would surely follow. :-)

(Did I really use the word "freeness" in the second paragraph?  Ack.)

- Doug Way
  EAI/Transom Technogies, Ann Arbor, MI
  dway at eai.com, dway at mat.net
  http://www.transom.com