Moving objects...

Josh Flowers josh at i33.com
Fri Jul 23 15:00:42 UTC 1999

Since the recent discussions on making Squeak more modular, I've
been pondering some of the same sorts of issues, so if you receive
any information that isn't sent to the mailing list, I'd love to see
it.  Also, what book did you read on modile objects, and was it good?
 Thanks.

> I have been reading a book on mobile objects, and some of the
limitations of
> the technique. It made me wonder about how Squeak and Smalltalk
deal with
> these issues (rather better I suspect). Firstly, Java will not
allow threads
> to be serialized. Is the same true of Processes in Squeak? Can these be
> saved and restored to their execution state in a different image?
This is
> important for the idea of mobile software agents. The reason this is
> probably difficult in Java is because it uses native threads.
>
> Secondly, with passing objects from one image to another. Passing
the state
> seems fairly straightforward, but what about behaviour? If an
Instance of
> class Dog is shipped to a remote Image that does not have this
class, what
> happens? In Java, a classLoader fixes the problem. In Smalltalk, I'm
> guessing you can just pass the class across the net to add the
behaviour
> (shows that making a class an object was an excellent design
decision). Is
> this the case, or is more needed? Does SmartReferenceStream deal
with this
> automatically, or must you explicitly add the class to the remote
image?

> How are dependencies dealt with in serialization? I think with BOSS it
> streams the object and all of its references to other objects etc.
Does the