On Reuse

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Jul 1 21:43:43 UTC 1999

On Thu, Jul 01, 1999 at 09:27:43AM +0930, Peter Smet wrote:

> >It may save people lots of time if we have a list of Squeak enhancements at
> >the Swiki. Just a title and one line comment for each thing. We could then
> >get into the habit of quickly perusing this list BEFORE we embark on our
> >next 'interesting project'.
>
> There, I've done it. There is a new page at the Swiki called "Been there,
> done that". I have hurriedly listed a few things there. Please add to this
> list. Remember, this is for doing a quick scan so keep descriptions to one
> line or less.
>
> Peter

Great idea, and a good title as well. Come to think of it, and speaking
of "reuse," we really should think about reusing the experience of
the TeX, perl, Linux development communities. Any darned fool can see
that Squeak is destined to become popular, widely used, and supported
by a large base of contributing developers. So we may as well just plan
for success and borrow the notions of CPAN (comprehensive perl archive
network), or the LSM (Linux software map) projects so that we can
start archiving and organizing the various "been there, done that"
contributions. If I'm not mistaken, the perl community stole the idea
for CPAN from the TeX folks (CTAN), or maybe it was vice versa, but
either way there's no reason why Squeakers can't go ahead and steal the
idea one more time.