Some bizarre thoughts on the nature of programming...

David N. Smith (IBM) dnsmith at watson.ibm.com
Thu Jun 24 19:41:52 UTC 1999

At 18:13 -0400 6/22/99, Stephan B. Wessels wrote:
>John Koza has been doing research on programming of computers by means of
>natural selection.  Check out the book
>"Genetic Programming" - 0-262-11170-5
>
>Here's a link at Amazon.com:
>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0262111705/qid=930089459/sr=1-2/002-6361
>144-0386826
>
>He's not talking about writing genetic algorithms, he's talking about genetic
>programming.  When I first even hear about this stuff a few years ago I
>was just
>laughing at how cool the ideas was.  It's been a while but I remember that all
>the examples were developed using LISP.
>
>  - Steve

Kosa is up to book three now, the latest one from Morgan-Kauffman.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1558605436/o/qid=930252614/sr=2-1/002-715
1442-9064666

There have been over a thousand papers published on Genetic Programming
since the first book, conferences, a journal, and more. ANd that's not
counting Genetic Algorithms, other genetic approaches to problem solving,
Artificial Life, and related fields, for which there are more annual
conferences (8-10), journals (6++), and more.

It's a hot field right now.

Unfortunately, almost all of it is simulated on a von Neuman machine since
there are few really parallel machines available as cheaply as a Pentium
III or a PowerPC G3.
David N. Smith
IBM T J Watson Research Center
Hawthorne, NY