speech synthesis demo

Peter Smet peter.smet at flinders.edu.au
Sun Jun 20 14:31:54 UTC 1999

Sorry, Luciano, I didn't really make myself clear.

I am attempting to do some stuff with RMI and moving objects between
different Squeak
Images. This uses SmartReference streams to serialize the objects, and I was
just curious as to how ImageSegments move across the net. Are they
serialized
with the SmartReference stream or is there some other mechanism at work
here?
I am assuming that an Object serialized with one flavour of Smalltalk (eg
VW) can't
be 'resurrected' by another flavour such as Squeak. Is that right? This
restriction
would probably apply to image segments too.

I wasn't suggesting the diphones be moved across the net.

Peter

>Image segments can be sent across the net... but I am not using them in
that way. Actually, it would be very slow doing that. The diphones (pairs of
phonemes, sampled and LPC coded) are too big... the Kurt voice uses about
8.7 MBs, so instead of having them in memory all the time I store it in disk
in image segment format, and every time a diphone is needed I load it.. and
after a GC the diphone is lost and if you need it again it will be loaded
again. This works because diphones never change, so I only store them once.
Doing this across the net would be too slow, I beleave.