genuine squeak newbie

montgomery f. tidwell mtidwell at mail.com
Sun Jun 20 22:37:41 UTC 1999

Howdy,

i guess i'll jump on the delurking bandwagon.

i've been programming for the last 20 years in (basic, c, pascal, ...)
on (Mac, PC, and Unix). even though i am somewhat familiar with
Smalltalk
(i bought Smalltalk/V when it first came out for the PC, but never did
anything with it because it was just too slow), i am completely new to
Squeak.

Screen shots:

to me it would be really useful to see screen shots of what Squeak
is/does AND to see what is possible. i just don't see why this is
such a big deal.

Tutorials:

where are they? ok, i've actually found a few, but they haven't
given me the "meat" that i am looking for. my background is
business applications (AP,GL,SO,PR,...). so beyond learning more
about Smalltalk in general, i am looking for something that will
show me how/if i can use Smalltalk to write these systems. for
example, where can i find an example of a creating a "form" that
allows a user to enter various types of data?

Generic Smalltalk Question:

i don't understand the difference between ifTrue:/and: and
ifFalse:/or:. it seems to me that they accomplish the same thing.

                         \\//_