genuine squeak newbie

Bruce O'Neel beoneel at mindspring.com
Sun Jun 20 14:24:19 UTC 1999

Hi,
>  The language seems simple enough (although I haven't yet studied it
>  in depth).  Time to RTFM and experiment with stuff.

>  - when I right click and see the pretty colored dots, what am I supposed
>    to think?  (I think it's cool that the blue one at the bottom-right
>    corner lets you rotate windows (although it can get messy and
>    disorienting))

Those are called, I believe, Morphic Halos.  You can use them to
manipulate different morphic objects directly.

>  - Is there any way to configure sloppy-focus instead of click-to-focus?

Surely there is, the code's all there.  And no, I have no idea how to do
this.  Do you mean 'give the window focus when the cursor is over it'?
If so, there is a lot of code which does this already, the scrollbars and
flaps being two.  Poke away...

>  - How does one run programs?

There really isn't a separation into 'programs'.  Everything is a class
and you call either class or instance methods.

For example, to start the Web server, which in a more traditional sense
would be 'running a program' is (in an opened Workspace window):

PWS serveOnPort: 80 loggingTo: 'log.txt'.

Note that there is some setup to do before this line would work.

>  - How does one share programs?
>    What do Squeak people do for persistent storage?

We share things by creating change sets.  For persistent storage you
either store things in the image or you store things as a change set
which you file in.

>  - Should I even be calling them programs?
>    Are programs just classes that need to be instantiated?

You're correct, don't call them programs.  They are classes.

>[ ps ]
>
>  Is there anyone out there who uses Squeak as their primary environment?

I'm sure there are others, but, on my portable Squeak is just about all I
have loaded.

cheers

bruce