Classes and Inheritance

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Wed Jun 23 14:41:54 UTC 1999

On Wed, 23 Jun 1999 09:49:48 +0100 "Vandendriessche, Frederik" <frederik.vandendriessche at eds.com> wrote:
>Now, I have the strangest effect (at least I think it is strange/not normal)
>;
>After doing
>
>webBoaApp initialize.
>webUrlApp initialize.
>
>only webBoaApp's class var Requirements is filled out !  With the
>requestHandlers of webUrlApp ! (They overwrote the webBoaApp
>requestHandlers).
>How comes ???  I do not know how to put this in english, but my first
>thought was 'The inheritance only works for instances' ?

Hi Frederik,

A little more actual code would help in making a precise diagnosis. I'm wondering:

- if all the methods shown are class methods,
- what the class hierarchy is,
- how and where the method #requestHandlers is implemented,
- where the varaible RequestHandlers is defined,
- is RequestHandlers an instance variable, a class variable or a class instance variable,
- etc.

A preliminary guess (and not a particularly useful one) would be that "self requestHandlers" is returning the same object no matter what the receiver is. More data would help.

Cheers,
Bob