Documentation

Vandendriessche, Frederik frederik.vandendriessche at eds.com
Wed Jun 9 05:34:20 UTC 1999

<...>
The kinds of things that need to be documented
in Smalltalk are the kinds of things that you can't get easily
by reading the source, such as the big picture and how to do a
particular task.
<...>

Maybe we could use images (of class structures/models) to  get the big
picture ?
I believe interaction between more than 3 classes/instances is pretty
diffucult to put in words.
With a pencil and a big sheet of white drawing paper one can do miracles (in
explaining/documenting complex interaction).

Recently I followed a Rational Rose course on UML modelling and the Rose
modelling tool itself.
On my 'after-work schedule' for the next couple of weeks ;   testing the
Smalltalk code generation from models,
and investigation if Squeak code generation is possible.

If you have done something similar, please let me know.
I'll post some results -when available-.

Meanwhile I still have two unanswered questions regarding Squeak networking.
I took the liberty to include these questions in this mail aswell
If you are the expert, and you feel like it, please take a my problems, and
advise me!

*****
1) Using the PWS I sometimes (up to 4 times a day) get the following in the
error-box :
----------
CreateThread() failed (8) -- Not enough storage is available to process this
command.

SetThreadPriority() failed (6) -- The handle is invalid.
----------

2) I just started using the SMTPSocket, and succeed in sending myself an
email, but I always get :
--------
Send thread was not closed upon socket destroy
--------

Causes and/or solutions to these problems ?
-Any- reaction is welcome, here or in my mailbox !
*****

Frederik Vandendriessche
System Engineer,
Electronic Business Services,