Shrinking frustration!@#$

Ian Trudel ian at monk.cgocable.ca
Fri Jun 25 10:45:22 UTC 1999

: -----Original Message-----
: From: Eric Ulevik [mailto:eau at fast.fujitsu.com.au]
: Sent: 25 juin, 1999 05:55
: To: squeak at cs.uiuc.edu
: Subject: Re: Shrinking frustration!@#$
:
: From: Ian Trudel <ian at monk.cgocable.ca>
: > I spent 4 hours shrinking Squeak*.
: > Okai, in fact I am looking for speeding up Squeak on my
: sluggish PC (P133,
: > 82 Megs RAM, on NT 4.0 Server). I thought shrinking useless things (for
: me)
: > would speed up things
:
: I'm running NT 4 Server on a P75 with 48MB RAM, so I know what you mean.
:
: I'm not an expert, but I don't think shrinking images will help speed.

Well, depends upon the use. For example, if I make stastistics of instVars,
looks like there is a lot more of them on a full image, as well as classes.
Make this stat takes serveral minutes. Maybe it doesn't change much on
general use though..

: What helps speed for me is:
: * screen resolution 1024x768x256 (instead of 16bpp)

I am running at 800x600x16bpp. I have tried at 800x600x256, it speeded up.
I'll test some more see if that worth changing.

: * using a newer version of Squeak (2.4b)

I am using 2.4c (updated from server).

: * not using Morphic

Oops, there I would miss something! Every new things look like being done in
Morphic. Though I agree, MVC is way faster.

Thanks,
Ian