Temporary variables

Stephen Pair spair at advantive.com
Thu Jun 17 20:25:22 UTC 1999

> If 20 variables are enough when one is doing classical programming, new
> paradigms often require new programming styles (constraint satisfaction is
> just an example amongst many others).

Why can't those variables be instance variables of an object (or related
objects) rather than temps?  I could envision a rather simple constraint
across two variables birth date, and marriage date that says the birth must
come before marriage.  Wouldn't the constraint then be associated with the
person (as a constraint on the state of the person)?  This is a rather
simple example (and there are an infinite number of solutions), but I would
think it would be applicable to the larger problems.  Why are temps needed?

- Stephen