Morphic Doc

Ashley George Taylor ataylor at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Jun 2 05:40:33 UTC 1999

Can I get some basic info on classes like HandMorph, WorldMorph and the
ProjectViewMorph?

I know what the basic intent of each of these is, e.g. HandMorph
handles and redirects input, but I still don't have a clean idea
of how the event processing model works and the exact role of the classes
involved, and I don't function well by slodging through code.

I finally read "Directness and Liveness in the Morphic User Interface
Construction Environment" by John Maloney and Randall Smith in UIST '95,
which gives an excellent overview of the Morphic architecture philosophy,
layout implementation and animation architecture. The UIST '95 paper
discusses Morphic as originated in Self, and some changes have been made
since it has been ported to Squeak.

For example, the event handling architecture is not discussed in detail,
and the windowing system and projects are not discussed at all.

I'm trying to write a little paper for a UI class to compare Morphic
Architecture/UIToolkit to MVC and to other UI toolkits such as Swing. The
reason I chose to do this was to get a clearer idea of the scene myself.

			-Ashley George Taylor (ataylor at cc.gatech.edu)