How About an InstallSqueak Image?

Tim Rowledge rowledge at interval.com
Wed Jun 16 05:22:17 UTC 1999

On Tue 15 Jun, agree at carltonfields.com wrote:

> I may be missing things here, but between a single (relatively tiny) executable VM fil
> e and a plurality of plugins and a slightly tinier executable VM, I prefer the former.
>   Indeed, once we have the VM pluginized in this manner, we suddenly have to start wor
> rying about an installshield for the VM.  Right now, you can download the VM with a pa
> inless and non-error-prone FTP.  Likewise an image file.
Well, it seems a bunch of people are having trouble with FTP, which is how
we got into this discusion!

If a zip file is built with all the VM/image plugins in a subdirectory, I
don't see how it complicates anything - just extract the lot into one place
and go. You'd end up with something like:-
SqueakDirectory
	squeakVM
	plugins
		VM
			network
			serial
			sound
			balloon
			balloon3D
			etc
		VI
			network
			serial
			sound
			balloon
			morphic
			debugging
			basicUI
	supportfiles
		image
		sources
		changelog
d-click on squeakVM would startup with the basic image and do whatever (run
a script, startup the IDE etc). If you start a vanilla image, it ought to
tell you to save it under a personal name straight away.

--
Useful random insult:- A natural talent for finding subliminal messages in ice cubes.
Tim Rowledge:  rowledge at interval.com (w)  +1 (650) 842-6110 (w)