How About an InstallSqueak Image?

agree at carltonfields.com agree at carltonfields.com
Wed Jun 16 00:14:48 UTC 1999

Duane writes:

> >I would say, one file only. We shouldn't forget how this > thread started, by
> >the mean of downloading problems. An executable file, for > example, would
> >automatically download as binary mode. So, I am for the one > file (VM +
> >install image + other files).
> > This is simply not always true.  The ftp on my unix machine > will transfer
> any file in text mode unless I explicitly tell it to switch > to binary mode.
> > I don't understand all the complex solutions being proposed.  > All the folks
> at disney have to do is to not release anything that can be > confused for a
> text file.

But he just wrote (above) that this wouldn't help, since "[t]he ftp on my unix machine will transfer any file in text mode unless you explicitly tell it to switch!"  If what he is saying is that executables and files with funky chars are auto-recognized for binary transfer, then what I said above **IS** true -- image files and VM files were, so far as I can tell, are not and have not been causing the problem -- its the source and changes files that have given rise to this confusion.

I could be wrong -- have been so many times before.