Process priority and portable OS threads

O'NEEL Bruce beoneel at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 2 12:18:31 UTC 1999

Hi,

Stephen Pair writes:
 > --- portable OS threads ---
 >
 > Last night, I got an OS threaded call-out mechanism working.  I've created
 > three pluggable primitives
 >
 >     primitiveCallOut
 >     primitiveThreadedCallOut
 >     primitiveThreadedCallOutResult

Great!

 > Does the Mac support pthreads?  I'm trying to determine what level of
 > portability I actually have here.

The mac does support Threads, but, I'm not sure it supports pthreads.
It's possible that a shell could be written on top of POSIX threads to
blend it into the Mac Thread Manager.  Also, while the thread manager
does premptive threads, it's probably a bit tricky to get this to work
properly.  Most likely one would have to settle for cooperative
threads.

cheers

bruce

--
Reality is 80m polygons - Alvy Ray Smith
Bruce O'Neel - beoneel at mindspring.com
http://homepage.iprolink.ch/~bioneel/beo/beo.html - daily stuff