One last request re: Swiki problems on Windows95

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Jun 17 18:28:21 UTC 1999

Dusty,

The error message you're getting sounds like an example of trying to take
the size of a nil object -- which used to be zero, but is now an error
message.  Exactly THAT error message.  I figured that it could be that
we've got a nil size bug somewhere in the code.

But I just opened a fresh Squeak 2.4c image (with all updates downloaded --
have you done this?), set up the server templates, started up the server,
and served *and edited* a FrontPage.  I'm doing this on a Mac, which isn't
Win95 obviously, but this error message is not platform specific.

So, I'm pretty confused.  About the only thing that I can think of is that
somehow your serverDirectory or network is confused, so the file isn't
actually getting opened, and FileStream is returning nil.

If you'd like to talk details off-line (e.g., send me your serverDirectory
method so that I can see your path, send me your workspace code for
starting up the Swiki, etc.), I'd be glad to take a look at them.

Sorry you're having such troubles!
  Mark

(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu