AW: Screen shots for Squeak.org

Kurt Thams thams at thams.com
Mon Jun 21 14:05:12 UTC 1999

Torsten.Bergmann at phaidros.com wrote:

> The pages should also describe a little bit what powerfull tools
> you have in Squeak (PWS, SpeechSynthesis, Squeak Books, ...).
> Downloadable Demos like Lucianos Speech-Demo-WAV file will also help to
> get more users into Squeak.

Good idea. To expand on that...

Whenever I'm trying to enlighten someone to Smalltalk, I usually give a
summary of the things which make it unique, so you might want to put a
bullet list of things which describe:

* Tightly integrated development/runtime environment
* Saving state across sessions, including running or paused programs
	includes "user" state such as open windows
* True portability across platforms
* Continuing after editing while debugging
* Very rich class library
* Change tools

Alternatively, you might put a bunch of examples which show how simple
it is to do so many things.
If you wanted to start a web server, do this...
If you wanted to factor this number, do this...
If you wanted to add these fractions, do this...
If you wanted to extend the code for the integrated e-mail client, do
this...
etc.

-- kurt