Problems with sound

Paul R. Bernard prb at thinkage.on.ca
Mon Jun 7 18:17:20 UTC 1999

John.Maloney at disney.com writes:

> One possible problem is that you tried to uncompress all the
> sound data at once.
> working room. The 60m you allocated to the VM may not have
> been quite enough...

After getting the GSM file uncompressed into memory the VM stats said
there was about 4.5million bytes of memory free.  I was assuming that
this would be enough.  I didn't get a low memory warning.

The problem is reproducible with smaller files.  About 300K bytes of
GSM audio is enough to cause the VM to fault.

> Another posssible problem is that the GSM file created
> outside of Squeak may include header or block information. If
> so, you'll need to parse the file format and extract the
> actual GSM data before passing to Squeak's GSM codec.
>
> What tool did you use to do the compression?

I used the 'toast' command from the GSM 6.10 library written in C by
Jutta Degener and Carsten Bormann circa 1993.  I've read the source,
I'm reasonably confident there is no header on the GSM data.  (If it
is there it is well hidden.)  The format is just a linear list of 33
byte frames.  I don't yet know if the handling of the wasted 1/2 byte
is the same as is implemented in squeak.  They're both using 33 byte
frames.

These files I'm using will play in squeak and sound indistinuishable
from the natively played version.  It's just that a minute or so into
the playback the squeak VM faults.

I will see if I can generate a GSM file outside of squeak that works
perfectly inside of squeak.

Thanks

- paul