Screen shots for Squeak.org

Stephen Pair spair at advantive.com
Sat Jun 19 19:47:53 UTC 1999

I believe this is how holy wars start.

Screen shots of the current distribution(s) as is, out of the box are
definitely needed (no reason to set the wrong expectations).  But, showing
what people are able to do with the environment is just as important.

Everyone has their own opinions of what looks good and what doesn't, and
Squeak should (and can) accomodate a wide range of preferences where it's
look is concerned.  The desire to make the UI look familiar is a very strong
one.  Initially, people will want it to look and act familiar.  Over time,
Squeak's own look and feel will be improved and will become more accepted.

But, people will always want something that is truly distinctive in their
eyes.  The success of the iMac shows us that.  It's about time companies
started shipping computers in something other than a dull gray box.  The
same holds for software, but it goes a step beyond...it's the ability for
each user to create their own custom look.  Windows "themes" are
proliferating like crazy.  I'm sure the same holds for other platforms.

In my opinion, the ultra customizability of the UI for Squeak will
ultimately be one of it's greatest attractions.  Heck, some people may want
all of their windows cocked at a 10 degree angle.

- Stephen