Info required

Bruce ONeel beoneel at mindspring.com
Mon Jun 28 12:44:09 UTC 1999

Hi,
  Without knowing the details about what you are trying to do this will be a bit hard.  Where Squeak might help you is that it does have a Smalltalk to C compiler/translater.  (I hope I get this right) If you have a smalltalk method which uses a slightly limited form of smalltalk then you can convert it to a C primative and build it into the VM.  Probably with some hassle you could take this bit of C code and make it somewhat standalone.  I've never tried.  What Squeak does not include is a full up, here is my mass of Smalltalk classes, build me a functionally equivalent C program.  That's a slightly hard problem :-)

  My guess is that the best way to do this is to look at the design of the existing smalltalk program, do a new design which takes into account the differences between smalltalk and C, pray that the existing program doesn't take advantage of any things easy to do in smalltalk and hard to do in c, and then rewrite from scratch a new C program.  Others, I'm sure, would have different ideas :-)

cheers

bruce

"Nagananda A" <anaga at wipsys.soft.net> wrote:
> Hello,
> This is Nagananda A. from Bangalore , India.
> We need to do a project in porting Smalltalk to C. Can you tell me
> whether
> I can use Squeak tool for this purpose. If so, how can i use Squeak?
> Please
> give me more details.
>
> If not can you please suggest me some utility / resource for executing
> this project.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Nagananda
>
> email : anaga at wipsys.soft.net

----
Reality is 80m polygons - Alvy Ray Smith
Bruce O'Neel - beoneel at mindspring.com
http://homepage.iprolink.ch/~bioneel/beo/beo.html - daily stuff