Documentation

Lawson English english at primenet.com
Fri Jun 11 19:48:16 UTC 1999

Ralph Johnson <johnson at cs.uiuc.edu> said:

>I would like to see some good documentation on book morphs and the like.
>Several times I decided to take an afternoon off and figure them out,
>and have not succeeded yet.  It is SO much easier to learn this kind of
>stuff if you can see demos and have someone explain it to you.  Writing
>documentation that can stand on its own is a lot of work.  I think
>everybody is underestimating it.

I'm glad that I found Squeak and this list. There are a LOT of ideas
floating around in my ruined brain [homage to Fabulous Furry Freak
Brothers] that Squeak and the Squeak community seem ideal for.

are NOT thinking about using Squeak to its full capacity in this regard, as
far as I can tell. You're talking about static tutorials when you should be
talking about multi-media animated ones.

A good example of what I am talking about is the old "Macintosh Development
Fundamentals" tutorial produced by the now-defunct Apple Developer
University. It was an animated HyperCard stack made with an early version
of Macromedia Director. It used simple B&W line art, combined with
narration, to talk a beginning Mac developer through the concepts of Mac
programming and the steps to produce a sample app. It was possibly the best
example of multi-media-based training that I have seen.

Squeak's current capabilities, for the most part, go WAAAY beyond those of
the version of Director used for that Mac programming tutorial. While
e-paper documentation is important, why stop there? Why not devise a
simple-to-use set of classes to implement a "baby" Director that can be
used to walk a student through the fundamentals of SmallTalk, Squeak, and
the various high-level functionality (e.g., Morphic, the baby Director
itself, etc) that are available/being created for Squeak?