Modules for Squeak, was: (Re: [Newbie Q] COM, beans, and Squeak)

Erik R. Knowles eknowle at concentric.net
Fri Jun 25 00:15:50 UTC 1999

Regarding namespaces: this seems like a GREAT idea.

A) As a newbie I was often been puzzled by the amount of baggage Object
carried around: stuff to do with URL's, whether or not the object was a
Color, etc.  If that baggage could be moved to whatever project actually
required the code (e.g., Scamper, etc.) it would make browsing the
system easier (and less intimidating).

B) I've wanted to make a change to a built-in class method but resisted
because there didn't seem to be any way to fileout that change in a
single file with the rest of the code comprising my project.  Namespaces
would allow you to gather ALL of the changes you've made to the system
into a single fileout.  (Though at first glance this doesn't seem all
that critical, I for one like having an ASCII record of my project: this
allows me to download the latest Squeak then filein my project).

Sorry I can't yet do the work myself -- mabey with a little more
familiarity!