Style

Hans-Martin Mosner hm.mosner at cityweb.de
Fri Jun 18 19:39:31 UTC 1999

On the possible tweaks to get the compiler to accept more temporaries:

Years ago I stumbled across the same problem with generated code in
ObjectWorks. This was from a window builder (whose name I will not mention)
developed by my company.
I contemplated changing the compiler so that it would store (at least some)
temps into an Array that by itself would only consume one temp slot. Every
access would have to be translated into a message send, but apart from that,
it would be quite workable.
However, we did not do it then because we could streamline the code generator
a little and could use visual re-use to factor out subforms, so that the
generated methods were well below the limits again.
I think that I even adopted the point of view that a window or form which
would break the limits is overly complex and should be redesigned, but that
was probably only because I needed to sell the idea to my colleagues...

Hans-Martin