How About an InstallSqueak Image?

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at gate.net
Tue Jun 15 03:45:30 UTC 1999

>[Lots SNIPPED]
> > Hey, guys, don't we know a REALLY, REALLY good machine-independent system?
> >
> > Why not use a tiny Squeak to bootstrap a bigger Squeak?
>
> > So, why not make an absolutely ultra-minimum image that is capable,
> > say, of supporting a window, progress bar and the stream.
>Excellent idea! I can add a few extra space savings to the pot:- with a
>pluginised VM (currently I have almost got all the serial, sound, network
>etc stuff as plugins) you have a small VM as well as a small image. If you
>use the partial image loading stuff Dan did a while ago as well, then the
>'install-image' IS the normal image, just without all the IDE stuff loaded.

That's great.  Dan's stuff should make this fairly easy to do.
(Since the VM is itself pretty small, I wonder if it isn't better
just to make them download it once, download an installSqueak image,
drag the image over the VM, and the next time they click on the VM --
the regular system just autoloads.  (They are free to keep around or
delete the installSqueak image as they see fit)).