Intro To Programming

Smilie smilie at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Jun 23 13:52:15 UTC 1999

--------------------
Jen a.k.a. Smilie
:-P
smilie at cc.gatech.edu

On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, David Mitchell wrote:

> Smalltalk 80 The Language -- (The purple book is more than adequate for an
> intro, and the blue portions are now on the Web). This is still one of my
> favorites. Again, not really the best for bootstrapping from no programming

I personally didn't not find that book to be very useful.  It was the book
that we had to use for one of my classes.  (I'm a student at GA Tech.)  To
me it seemed to be talking way over my head, and I had a few cs classes
before that one.  The only chapters that I found useful were the
simulation chapters, and this is because we had to do a business
simulation as one of the assignments.

Although, I was lucky, I had a great professor who was a really good
teacher (hi, Mark :-).  I thought he made up for all of the book's
lacking.  Also, the book he is currently working on seemed to be more down
to earth.  It spoke to me on a level that I thought made it easier for me
to grasp the concepts and not get lost in all of the jargion.  Basically,
I think when his book comes out, it will be a great help.

Jen