more on generalising dot notation

Carl Gundel morphic at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 19 21:24:29 UTC 1999

Perhaps it would be better not to muddy the clean syntax of Smalltalk
unless it cannot be avoided.  Unless a compelling case can be made,
remote references should be string (and/or symbol) literals, like so:

Object fromURLString: 'http://faraway.machine/getObj/path.to.object'

 or

'http://faraway.machine/getObj/path.to.object' objectFromURL

-Carl