entao

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at gate.net
Wed Mar 3 13:49:40 UTC 1999

> A while ago I suggested that there should be a rule that the person who
> asks the question changes the swiki.  While this has its good points, it is
> better for short question and answers, rather then long discussions.

The downside of this, of course, is that the best questions tend to
be asked by newbies who have not yet become full-fledged members of
the community.  I was surprised and pleased to find a number of my
questions and answers posted to the Swiki, only later to suppose that
I should have presumed to do that myself.  Expecting newbies to do
this is naive.

>  An
> alternate rule, that the person who posts updates the swiki, also has its
> good points, but would mean that those altruistic and knowledgable people
> who give their time and expertise to answering questions from the rest of
> us are made to do further work for our benefit :-(

Right.  I noted that guys like Ralph Johnson and Ted K. were
regularly picking up the slack, posting stuff that struck their
interest as those questions were answered.  We could hope that
someone would volunteer to monitor the e-mails in this fairly active
listServ and post to Swiki for us. . .  Anyone with time on their
hands?