Squeak newsgroup ?

Tom Hotaling hotaling at ll.mit.edu
Wed Mar 17 15:32:00 UTC 1999

>I agree that a newsgroup might help some people, but my email client handles
>the large volume rather well.  One thing people could do is subscribe with a
>different email address (that way when you don't want to take the time to
>download the Squeak messages, you don't have to).
>
>I would really hate to see this mailing list go the way of other newsgroups
>and start suffering with flame wars, recruiters, spam and various other
>non-sensical noise.

	Gentelmen: I'm a newbie to Squeak, saw a talk by Alan Kay and got
real enthused, but the mailing list vs newsgroup question is one I've have
had to deal with. I'm on a couple of other lists that generate as much
traffic as this one and it can be disruptive to have e-mail bouncing in all
the time. A digest is one way to control the mail flow. There's a newbie
question for ya does this list offer a digest format?? However my
sugestion, and I make this with the caveat that I personally don't have
either the time or the expertise to create it, is a newsgroup with a
subscription list. A "private" newsgroup if you will. A newsgroup format
offers many advantages for participants in terms of volume, ability to
examine just what is of interest, archieving, etc. It seems like such an
obvious solution to the crap, noted above, that infects many/most  public
newsgroups. Moderated groups are OK, but someone(s) has to moderate and
that can be a real pain in the neck job. Plus just being publicly available
exposes the participants to the spam/junk hawkers. As I indicated above I
have no idea if it's too dificult to graft an "accepted user list" on to
the front end of a standard newsgroup program but it would seem like it
would be a real handy thing to have.  Anyway just a thought, I'll go back
to reading the tutorials..........

				tomh