Beware of April 1!

Helge Horch Helge.Horch at munich.netsurf.de
Tue Mar 16 01:58:51 UTC 1999

Useless information follows, while I try to work on actually-useful stuff.

At 12:13 15.03.99 -0800, John wrote:
>Squeak has a very international following, and not everyone is aware

Darn. :) Now the leagues of writers who were preparing notes along the
lines of "Linux being rewritten in Squeak" have to start over and/or seek
other targets.

>of a quaint custom we have in the United States (and England?)

AFAIK, Europe in toto. I've been wrong before though.

>known as "April Fools' Day".

Surfing tips:
<http://fool9.aprilfools.com/afhow.htm>
<http://www.2meta.com/april-fools/history/>
<http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Larry_Freeman/holydays.htm#April
Fool>

Or even the Encyclopedia Britannica:
<http://www.eb.com/bol/search?type=topic&query=history+of+april+fools+day&
DBase=Articles&I3.x=43&I3.y=8>

A snip from the first URL:

>Some say that April Fools Day began in many parts of the world at the same
time,
>in celebration of the spring equinox. Pranks were a big part of even the most
>boring equinox parties, everywhere from Sweden to India.
[...]
>Widespread observance in England began in the 18th century. [...]
>In Scotland, April Fools Day is 48 hours long. The second day is called
Taily Day
>and is dedicated to pranks involving the buttocks. Taily Day's gift to
posterior
>posterity is the still-hilarious "Kick Me" sign.

Ahem.

SCNR,
Helge

ObSqueak: Anyone out there got the Morphic protoFabrik thingies to work? I
seem to be having trouble reproducing "Play-With-Me-6" here- my Components
being rather bodiless (and no Pins either)
I *know* it's pre-alpha, but PWM-6 does work, doesn't it? Any hints/clues?