Squeak newsgroup ?

Doug Way dway at mat.net
Mon Mar 22 05:57:25 UTC 1999

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Dru Nelson wrote:

> If people don't want a high traffic mailing list going to their
> mailbox, try out http://www.egroups.com/list/squeak/
>
> It takes a little getting used to, but you can basically
> read the list on the web if you setup an account. You can
> also get it via email and in digest format.
>
> *NOTE* I work for the company, so take this as a biased opinion.

I agree that egroups.com seems to be the way to go in terms of getting
digest access to this list.  The UIUC list admins haven't responded to any
requests over the last year or so to add features, so I wouldn't count on
getting digest access directly from them... it's pretty much running on
auto-pilot.  However, the UIUC listserv seems to work reliably, so I
suppose there's no reason to move the list, especially if people can get
digest access from egroups.  (I'm going to mention this on the Squeak
Swiki.)

I'm on a different (non-digest) mailing list via egroups, and one minor
downside is that there is a brief (one-line) ad at the tail end of every
message, but otherwise it seems like a great service.  Also I would
imagine the one-line ads would be less noticeable at the end of a huge
email digest anyway.

I was hoping that egroups might also allow AND/OR logic keyword searches
of the list, but it only seems to allow plain text searches... ah well.
(Georg's archiver also only allows plain text searches.)

- Doug Way
  EAI/Transom Technogies, Ann Arbor, MI
  dway at eai.com, dway at mat.net
  http://www.transom.com