Multilingual Squeak

Russell Allen russell.allen at firebirdmedia.com
Tue Mar 23 06:33:38 UTC 1999

>At 09:03 PM 3/21/99 +0900, Mark Wai wrote:

<snip>

>I think unicode would be a good start if one wants to have multilingual
>Squeak because languages like Russian, Japanese and Chinese have 2 bytes
>character representation so unicode will come handy.   However, all this
>can buy you is in the 'display' level.  If you want to do multilingual 'all
>the way' -- a Squeak system that is completely running in a foreign
>language (from top to bottom), you got to change the VM and the compiler by
>allowing things such as Symbol, method source, CompiledMethod,
>MethodDictionary etc., to support at least 2 bytes encoding. It could be
>done (although it is lots of work) and I think you might see something like
>this come out in the reasonably near future.

A Squeak that could display and edit (and deal with in a sensible manner)
multiple languages would be a great thing.

With a Squeak which was multilingual "all the way": I can imagine a Squeak
image with classes and methods specified in many languages - most of which
would be completely opaque to most people.  Would this really be a good
thing?

>Mike and OHSHIMA, I guess most of the readers in this thread will not be
>interested in this issue, we can take it off line if you want so that we
>don't flood this mail list.

Most things on this list are interesting, but often not in my sphere of
knowledge/ability.  If you go away to talk about these issues, can you
start a swiki page about them, and about your conclusions?

Russell

Russell Allen

russell.allen at firebirdmedia.com