Native widget set ofr X

Joerg Brunsmann Joerg.Brunsmann at FernUni-Hagen.de
Fri Mar 5 13:34:21 UTC 1999

Stephen Pope wrote:

> "Mark A. Schwenk" wrote:
> >
> > Michael Roth wrote:
> > >
> > > I had read a rumor about a month ago or so that someone was writing a
> > > native widget set for Squeak in Qt or gtk.  I haven't been able to track
> > > it down though.  Is there actually such a thing?
> >
> > I believe the following link is what you are looking for
> >
> > http://www.informatik.fernuni-hagen.de/import/pi3/joerg/squeak/talktalk.html
> >
> > -Mark Schwenk, WellThot Inc.
>
> This begs the question as to whether anyone has tried this native widget set out
> on other flavors of UNIX, or even non-UNIX X servers -- has anyone?.`

I compiled this on Solaris and it worked. QT and Gtk are available for a great
number of unix flavors. Yes, Markus, the Win32 GTK port is available here:

  http://www.vtt.fi/tte/staff/tml/gimp/win32/

Also, the wxWindows is still a candidate for cross platform widgets

  http://web.ukonline.co.uk/julian.smart/wxwin/

I would give it try on Win32 but I don't have a Microsoft Visual C++ compiler
which the Squeak Win32 C source assumes, I assume. This begs the question why
all the squeak source code is spread all over the world working with different
compilers. That's unfortunate because 70% of the C source code is generated
and simple C code. Given so little hand crafted C source code one might ask:
why is there no code sharing between different source code distribution for
different platforms. If you think that cross platform code sharing is something
to talk about, perhaps we should make the Squeak Windows port compilable
with Mingw32

  http://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/~janjaap/mingw32/index.html

and share the C source code for Win32 and Unix? That achieved, would make
cross platform widgets with Squeak easier to make a reality.

Cheers,

Jörg