It's REALLY heating up out there...

ohshima at is.titech.ac.jp ohshima at is.titech.ac.jp
Tue Mar 2 18:25:48 UTC 1999

Tim Rowledge wrote:
> Mind you, the integer performance sounds oddly low given the other figures,
> which might damage the Sq performance.

  The numbers are shown in GIPS.  So it just doesn't make sense
comparing different architectures in GIPS.  Or they just allocated as
many transistors for floating units as possible?  (Do campany use
disadvantageous measure to advertise their product?)

> When I worked at PPS, I
> tried to get someone to take seriously the rise of the games machines and
> allow work on a nintendo port. I might have got the brand wrong, but I
> still think the idea was right. I even included Nintendo in the list of
> ports on the sweatshirts I made for a bunch of people at PPS :-)

  "Nintendo" means the old (red & white colored) one?  I think its CPU
is a 6502 variant.  How fast an Smalltalk system would run on the
machine?

Ranjan Bagchi wrote:
> The new Sega dreamcase machine's running Windows CE, right?

  Yes.  It's a variant of WinCE.  I don't know how the development
tool looks like, but they say it becomes much easier to develop a
software for DC. ("Dreamcast" is the name)

  The press release says that the development tool for the next PS is
running on Linux.  Sony knows how to do the business:-) (In fact, the
compiler for current PS is gcc).

                                             OHSHIMA Yoshiki
                Dept. of Mathematical and Computing Sciences
                               Tokyo Institute of Technology