Squeak programming question

Alan Kay Alan.C.Kay at disney.com
Tue Mar 23 14:18:15 UTC 1999

Marcel --

That's right. Coroutines were a big thing in the 60s, and they were an
important part of Simula and my early experiments at designing a dynamic
OOPL. When  we did "Simpula" ("Simula" in Smalltalk-72) we discovered that
it was simpler and cleaner to use several methods for the different phases
of the coroutine. The scheduling set in Simpula carried a pointer to the
objects that were sleeping plus what message to send them when they were
awakened. This worked well and it was one of the motivations for not
worrying so much about the symmetrical send-receive at that time.

Cheers,

Alan

------