Fixes archive (was: entao)

Bert Freudenberg bert at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Mon Mar 8 08:52:12 UTC 1999

On Sat, 6 Mar 1999, David Farber wrote:

> may i make some suggestions?
>
>  1) add sections for bug reports and for code submissions that aren't
>     bug fixes.

If there aren't to many messages it is sufficient to gather them all.  I
don't have too much time to spend on this now - I wrote the
MailArchiveAction for the GSUG swiki a while ago, and for the SQFixes
archive I just set up a procmail filter to extract the relevant messages
from the list.

For bug reports and enhancement ideas there should be a specialized server
coordinating the efforts. A bug report would be posted, someone could
volunteer to fix it, and a fix would be added. This should somehow be
x-ref'ed with the list ... We would need an id for each bug, and this id
would have to be included in the bug report, the volunteering msg, and in
the fix. If someone codes a ServerAction doing this I would include it in
the GSUG swiki.

>  2) *Publicize* the archive. every four weeks or so, send out an email that
>     gives the url and specifies the format that the subject line needs to use
>     in order to get snagged by the archiver, i.e. you need to use one of the
>     tags [BUG] [BUGLET] [FIX] [CODE] [ENH] and the tag must start the subject
>     line.

This could be included in a general squeak-list-format message. On
comp.lang.smalltalk there was an agreement of indicating the scope of a
message by starting it with [VW], [VA], [JOB] etc.  Someone could write
up such a thing ...

FYI, the current procmail rule is:

:0 D c
*^Subject:.*(FIX|ENH|ADD|ANN|vailable|\[.*(fix|enh|add|ann|Fix|Enh|Add|Ann).*\])
*!^Subject: ([Rr][Ee][^a-zA-Z])

meaning a message gets through if it contains FIX, ENH, ADD, ANN, or
"available" somewhere in the subject or a non-capitalized version of these
in square brackets. To reject replies, the subject must not start with
"Re". So bug reports woudn't be include, but announcements are.

>  3) get with Dan and see if you can work out a way that marks fixes as having
>     been included in an update set (without making one of you do all the
>     work by hand).

The sqfixes archive is (at least for now) intended to serve as a filtered
list archive. If someone finds something odd, she can look if there's
already a fix for it. It's not supposed to be an "unofficial" update
server competing with the official one.

/bert

--
 Bert Freudenberg                                            Department of
                                                            Simulation and