Multilingual Squeak

Michael S. Klein mklein at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Mar 26 16:37:38 UTC 1999

Just changing the user-visible string in an app is the usual way to go
for multi-lingual applications.  I was once teaching Scheme to some
Japanese-speaking clients (with the help of a translator -- aargh)
I showed them VisualWorks... particularly that they could use kanji for
methods, variables, etc, without the compiler barfing.  They seemed
surprised.

Still, even within an English speaking community of programmers, it
seems difficult (boring/not done) to actually get a *lot* of consistency
amongst Smalltalk developers on interfaces/message-semantics.
Huzzah to X3J20 for even trying. Perhaps this is the price we pay for
dynamic typing.

Like VW, dynamic typing is expensive, but worth it :-)

-- Mike

mklein at alumni.caltech.edu