Squeak programming question

Ivan Tomek ivan.tomek at acadiau.ca
Mon Mar 22 17:24:11 UTC 1999

Date forwarded: 	22 Mar 1999 17:11:58 -0000
From:           	Holger_Hoch%MICFFM at pmsmicado.com
To:             	squeak at cs.uiuc.edu
Date sent:      	Mon, 22 Mar 1999 17:48:04 +0100
Subject:        	Re: Squeak programming question
Forwarded by:   	squeak at cs.uiuc.edu
Send reply to:  	squeak at cs.uiuc.edu

> Ivan Tomek wrote:
>
> > You could then do

> > caller setter1: object1
> > caller setter2: object2
>

> what i dislike about this solution is that the called method
> has to have knowledge about the sender.
> This seems to be a precondition that in general is not satisfied.

The sender of a method can be obtained by sending sender to
thisContext. I am suggesting adding a new pseudovariable (something
like self, super, etc.) that would access the caller directly. I think that
this would provide the symmetry mentioned by Alan earlier.

Ivan Tomek,

Jodrey School of Computer Science
Acadia University
Nova Scotia, Canada

fax: (902) 585-1067
voice: (902) 585-1467

Elegance: The Mona Lisa has it, and so does the binary search algorithm. The Golden Gate
      Bridge has it, as do the World Wide Web, Visicalc, Smalltalk and the U.S. Constitution.
                 Public-key cryptography and Michelangelo's Pieta also have it."
                                 - Gary H. Anthes , Computer World

 "Beauty is more important in computing than anywhere else in technology because software is so
                complicated. Beauty is the ultimate defense against complexity."
                      - David Gelernter, Professor of Computer Science, Yale University.