Merging our Media Types

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Mar 30 15:54:28 UTC 1999

There are at least three places in the current Squeak image where we deal
with the types of media files:

- In FileLists, so that the fileSelected menu can be smart about what
options to offer you.

- In Scamper, so that clicking on a link does the right thing.

- In PWS, so that the server returns the right MIME type for a returned file.

Perhaps this is two too many? :-) As I'm merging in various folks' code (in
PWS, in images for my class, etc.), I'm fighting file type handling
conflicts.  The FileList>>itemsForFileEnding: method has six versions in
the new image I just set up for my class!

I'm considering creating some kind of MediaType class that can be
associated with file types and provide functionality for these various
situations.  I don't think it's enough to just do MIME, though MIME is a
good subset or starting set.  The problem is that we're also inventing new
media types (like SqueakyPages), so I think we need a more flexible system.

Comments?  Is somebody doing something like this already?

Thanks!
 Mark

(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu