Naive question - Communicating between multiple image

Jerome Garcia Jerome.Garcia at wj.com
Fri May 14 00:19:36 UTC 1999

     Bolot,

     Thanks for your suggestions.

     The application is actually a robotics application which I can't say
     much about because of nondisclosures in my contract. The contract
     actually requires C++ components but I am planning on doing a Squeak
     version simultaneously. Hopefully, I can sometime convince them of the
     superiority of Smalltalk :-)

     Basically, the problem is to be able to interact with a robot and
     associated components (processes) either locally on a non-networked
     machine or via the Internet. In either case, there will be several
     separate communicating processes involved.

     I am really happy about your interest in creating support for
     distributed applications.

     Something which I mentioned previously in the list was a desire for
     generic support for distributing an application on the fly as opposed
     to making sure up front that the necessary classes are available on
     the distributed images. In this case, an application might determine
     that it made sense to distribute itself and would look for running
     images on the network. If the available images did not have the
     necessary classes available, it would be nice to have generic support
     for their creation, use, and appropriate rerouting of messages from
     the local classes. Generic support for ensuring permanence or removal
     of the distributed classes would also be nice. I guess the other thing
     is generic support for finding and connecting to the other running
     images.

     Jerome