Thinking about a better UI

Raab, Andreas Andreas.Raab at disney.com
Mon May 17 21:32:32 UTC 1999

> > > 3) Cut&paste from Squeak to the outside world and back.
> >
> > This works, in Squeak cut-copy-paste are alt + x-c-v instead of ctrl.
>
> 1) Why this difference? (This question probably doesn't go to Squeak in
> general but to Andreas Raab.)

The question should in fact go to the general Squeak audience. The only
thing I'm responsible for is how keys are reported to the Squeak image. And
the rule for this is:

	The control key gets reported as control key.
	The alt key gets reported as the command key.

Simple, isn't it?! You probably wouldn't like to get the control key
reported as the command key (which would sort of work for these shortcuts)
and the alt key as the command key. Or at least I would not like it, because
of the total confusion that occurs when 'Sensor controlKeyPressed' returns
false, even though you HAVE pressed the control key ;-)

On the other hand, *Squeak* not the VM defines how shortcuts are
interpreted. Meaning that right now *Squeak* reacts to the combination of
'command + x' (Alt-x on Windows) by executing the 'cut' command. Nothing
prevents you from redefining it (see ParagraphEditor
class>>initializeCmdKeys) to use your preferred control keys.

  Andreas
--
+===== Andreas Raab ========= (andreasr at wdi.disney.com) ==+
| Walt Disney Imagineering        Phone: +1 818 544 5016  I
I Glendale, CA                    Fax:   +1 818 544 4544  I
+======< http://isgwww.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~raab >========+