sticky input focus

Bert Freudenberg bert at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Fri May 7 10:40:02 UTC 1999

> > Has anyone implemented "sticky" input focus (as in Windows), whereby
> > clicking in a view places the focus there even if the mouse is moved
> > out of the view?  I'm having trouble using the debugger effectively
> > without this.
>
> I am curious precisely what it is you are trying to accomplish that
> requires this feature?  I have found the debugger astoundingly robust
> from a U-I standpoint compared to debuggers I have used in other
> systems.

One problem might be this: When stepping with keys and simultaneously
working with the mouse in the text area it happens that the stack is
defocused - so occasionally cmd-e or cmd-t gets inserted in the text.

IMHO that's not a problem of non-sticky focus (I just love the
focus-follows-mouse principle) but rather the inability of morphs to
intercept keyboard events when they do not have the focus. If the debugger
window would respond to this keys it wouldn't matter what morph the mouse
is in.

/bert

--
 Bert Freudenberg                                       Department of
                                                        Simulation and