Thinking about a better UI

Joachim Durchholz joachim.durchholz at munich.netsurf.de
Mon May 17 21:19:25 UTC 1999

Marcel Weiher wrote:

> > 1) Why this difference? (This question probably doesn't go to Squeak
> > in general but to Andreas Raab.)
>
> Because Windows got it wrong...   I don't know if commnd-key
> equivalents were present in early ST UIs, but I know that c/v/x for
> copy/paste/cut were present in the Mac UI using the Option Key,
> predating Windows by quite a bit.  Since Control-Key combinations are
> needed to type control sequences, this makes sense.  Why Gates
> messed up on this I haven't a clue.

They didn't mess it up. Windows just has two command keys: Ctrl and Alt.
Roughly speaking, Alt is for activating the window menu and Ctrl is for
doing things directly without going through a menu. I think this is very
useful.
Mind you: I don't like Windoze or Billyboy better than anybody else. But
I concede credit even to Microsoft if they do something right. And they
do put their stuff through a usability lab, so their stuff may be less
than systematic, but it's sure usable. I think Smalltalk (and a lot of
other programs) would benefit tremendously from a bit less of
systematics and a bit more usability. (Without throwing systematics
overboard, of course: there's always a middle ground to tread.)

Regards,
Joachim
--
Please don't send unsolicited ads.